Sheep?

Discussion of goat and sheep issues. Retention - permanent.
bee_pipes

Sheep?

Post by bee_pipes »

Anybody out there got sheep? We are considering keeping them for meat and dairy. I know you can get the same from goats, but there are a few benefits to sheep. I like the taste of lamb better, sheep are not the escape artists that goats are, and the milk yields double the amount of cheese as goat or cow milk.

Regards,
Pat
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Nope, no sheep here. Since they removed the bounty on predators, the sheep population of this county has dropped from a half million down to 30,000. The coyotes and mountain lions have put the sheep ranchers in the hurt locker. I did not know about the cheese and milk factor with sheep. Probably not enough grazing type pasture land on my property to support sheep.

Toepopper
badwuf

Post by badwuf »

I have had sheep off and on. I have never milked them but had a good friend who was from Spain who said he milked sheep all the time. He claimed they were easy to milk and the milk was very good. Our main interest in sheep was wool for spinning. I find sheep to be more complicated then goats. I always say when sheep are born they start looking for a place to die. They just seem to be harder to keep alive. They are personable and cute and are easy keepers as far as containment and feed requirements. Badwuf
cowboy38229

Re: Sheep?

Post by cowboy38229 »

I have been considering raising sheep for a while,but have not eaten any since I was a small child and couldn't remember what it taste like or if I liked it.A new meat market opened not long ago in a town not to far away and advertised lamb so now I know. I guess I'll be going to the local livestock sale with a purpose know.
bee_pipes

Re: Sheep?

Post by bee_pipes »

My wife likes to watch the food channel. They had a piece on a month or so ago about making gyro sandwiches. Don't know if you ever had one, but they are great. The meat is made from ground lamb and onions, baked like a meat loaf - excellent flavor.

Regards,
Pat