Low Tech experiment to improve fruit harvest

Watchman
Foreman

Re: Low Tech experiment to improve fruit harvest

Post by Watchman »

Easy. First locate the photo on your device. At the bottom of the post (in the posting mode as you are writing the topic) find attachment. Click on add attachment and browse for the photo. Click upload and it will upload as an attachment to the post. Submit your post and the photo shows up as a somewhat larger thumbnail. When someone clicks on the photo it grows to full size.
“Two is one, one is none”
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

I'll be honest with you, we have one apricot tree (winter-hardy Chinese apricot; it is growing right on our property line here in Free Wyoming. We have winters that hit 25 or 30 below routinely. We have never used a fluid ounce of pesticide, herbicide or any other enhancement. We look for the emerging green leaves around late March and blossoms in full bloom by about late April and May. The only trouble is that a freeze has happened after that and we can just about tell how much fruit we swill have by the number of blossoms. Last year we beat the reaper. Had a full blossoming tree and so much fruit we couldn't give it away or preserve it. Makes me sick to think of it.
Apricots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Apricots seem to be a hit or miss proposition. I have several semi dwarf trees that seem to be susceptible to late spring frosts or rain that washes off the pollen from the flowers. They are Cascade and Puget Gold varieties which were developed for this climate here on the western slope of the Cascades. Never seen that Chinese or Montrose variety being sold in this area but its always to your advantage to get the latest flowering variety to eliminate weather related problems. Apricots are my favorite fruit. They contain a high amount of laetrile which is known as a natural anti cancer drug. The pits contain amygdalin which is used in the treatment of cancer. When I have a bumper crop I cut them in half and remove the pits, then dehydrate them for long term winter storage and enjoyment when there is no fresh fruit available. Here it is mid February and my trees are starting to bud out. It was 51 degrees yesterday but 35 at night.