Disasters

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Disasters

Post by Toepopper »

It has become evident that the greatest chance for disaster will come from mother nature rather than war or rogue government. In the east and Midwest the flood threat is always there and in the arid west we have earthquakes and the summer wild fire season. Currently we have a forest fire burning over on the next ridge to the west of my land, started by a drug addict who built a campfire that got away from him and lit the woods on fire. It has burned 13,700 acres so far and is 30% contained. They have 19 helicopters and 2 fixed wing aircraft dropping water on this fire plus 43 engines and 23 dozers trying to contain it. Last Sunday a sheriff deputy knocked on the door and handed us a level 2 evacuation notice and he strongly advised us to leave and be prepared to be gone for 2 weeks. I refused and told him we were staying. He responded and said it was my choice but there would be no help coming if we get cut off by the fire. Its just not in my nature to bug out. We have no place to go, all our supplies are here and we are dug in like a hill tick. I have a good perimeter around the house, its free of dead grass and fallen branches and I have 1" fire hoses to extinguish spot fires if any should occur. White ash from the fire is coating everything like snow. The smoke from the fire is terrible, visibility is about 50 feet and breathing it for any length of time will make you sick. Today the wind direction has changed and is blowing the smoke out of our area so we can breath again. About half the residents along the county road have bugged out. One family had to move their cattle before leaving which was a major chore. So here we sit, too old and stubborn to bug out, with our important papers and meds loaded into 2 vehicles, ready to escape at a moments notice if it becomes necessary.