AR building

knobster

AR building

Post by knobster »

Anyone else have fun with the 'tinker toy of the gun world'?

I've built 5 ARs so far and by golly do I enjoy it! With the glut of inventory we currently find ourselves in now is an awesome time to dive in. 4-5 years ago most ARs were above $1000. Now, by building my own and with prices continuing to come down, I built my last one for a mere $580. My biggest problem now is running out of gun safe room!
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: AR building

Post by Toepopper »

Noticed the prices dropping and in some cases they are half of what they cost during the panic buying period after Sandyhook. Everybody and their brother owns an AR now. This may be a strategic error as some terrain requires a heavier, longer range round. Must admit they are a lot of fun to shoot.
knobster

Post by knobster »

I picked up my first AR a little before Sandy Hook but I was looking for extra 30-rnd mags shortly thereafter. I would have had better luck finding hen's teeth. When a few finally did show up they were $30!! Today I can find them for $10. Sheesh...
308gun

Post by 308gun »

Looking at the Smith & Wesson M & P 10 it, now comes in 308 win. and that covers the long range problems , also the magazine is the AR 10 family of magazines , lots around... and I have the Smith & Wesson M & P 15 a better grade M16 , shoots great too, again lots parts , got extra bolt, buffer and spring , firing pin, etc . will be in service many years...and what is great right now ammo prices are down . :soldier:
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Ammo prices are down because the suppliers need to eliminate as much inventory as possible before the first of the year, or they get stuck paying tax on it. I saw military surplus 30 rd AR mags with the non binding followers for $7.00 a pop at a small local gun show. These were new mags still in the wrapper. Its a good investment to stock up when prices are low, who knows, next year they may jump up to $60 apiece and if the hildabeast gets in they are sure to be banned completely.
Last edited by Toepopper on 11 Nov 2015 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
knobster

Post by knobster »

Toepopper wrote:Ammo prices are down because the suppliers need to eliminate as much inventory as possible before the first of the year, or they get stuck painng tax on it. I saw military surplus 30 rd AR mags with the non binding followers for $7.00 a pop at a small local gun show. These were new mags still in the wrapper. Its a good investment to stock up when prices are low, who knows, next year they may jump up to $60 apiece and if the hildabeast gets in they are sure to be banned completely.
Good to know! There is a gun show in my neck of the woods this coming weekend. Think I'll crack open the piggy bank and stock up on stuff.
knobster

Post by knobster »

308gun wrote:Looking at the Smith & Wesson M & P 10 it, now comes in 308 win. and that covers the long range problems <snip>
Have you added this to your inventory? I'm considering adding an AR-10 to my collection.