New Powder

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

New Powder

Post by Toepopper »

I have run out of BLC-2 powder for reloading 223 rounds so I substituted with Hodgdon 335 and was surprised to see my groups shot tighter with this powder. H-335 used with a 65 grain Sierra Game King bullet will track the same flightpath as the military M-855 or the new M-855A1 penetrator round out to 800 yards. The military ammunition uses a 62 grain bullet but I can't find any of those so I went with the 65 grain Sierra instead. BLC-2 powder leaves a grease type black fouling all over the inside of my rifle but the H-335 shoots much cleaner and leaves very little residue.
Toepopper

Re: New Powder

Post by Toepopper »

Update: I have been experimenting with different rifle powders reloading the 223 to find out which powders to use during this powder shortage, as a backup, in case rifle powder remains hard to get. The mildest recoil and tightest groups came from 22.5 grains of IMR 3031. This is a hard powder to reload with as it will not meter out correctly in the powder throw and must be hand measured with a powder trickler and then funneled into each case individually with some shaking to get it into the case. Lots of extra time to do this but 3031 gives a 5 round group with all holes touching where as the H335 gives a 3/4" group.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

note: I have used both AA 1680 and V-N133 for 223 Rem. and got good results also... :cowboy:
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Does anyone have any reloading data for the new Hodgdon CFE powder? Hodgdon's site lists 2 loads for the 45 ACP but they start at 6 grains minimum charge but that seems like a lot of powder for a starting load and I don't trust this information. Don't want to ruin my 45 with an overcharge. This powder was released to the public last Jan first and is supposed to eliminate copper fouling in the bore, shoot cleaner so less maintenance required etc. CFE stands for copper fouling eliminator. I was lucky enough to pick up 2 pounds of this powder and now am afraid to test it with no other load data or reference information available.