Reloading for the M1 Carbine

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Reloading for the M1 Carbine

Post by Toepopper »

There were over 8 million M1 and M2 carbines manufactured in the U.S. and many of these were sold to the civilian market when they became obsolete and were replaced by the M16 rifle. The carbines were sold at a low price and surplus ammunition was plentiful and inexpensive so this combination allowed for some cheap shooting. Ammunition was a penny apiece during the 1950s and early 60s. All of that surplus ammo has been sold to foreign countries or shot up by American civilian shooters and hunters and in todays market, new production ammunition is selling for $1.20 to $1.50 per round. One complaint voiced by soldiers was that the little carbine round did not have enough knock down power. The knock down power can be greatly increased by reloading with either a jacketed hollow point bullet or an exposed lead tipped soft point bullet, some claim by as much as 6 times the power of the conventional full metal jacket military projectile. I have about 2000 empty carbine cases and a 3 set reloading die so I was going to save some money and reload some carbine rounds but at this time I can't find any bullets for sale anywhere in the country. Midway and Brownell's don't expect to get any either so I can't even get on a waiting list for these components. Factory carbine ammunition is also unavailable unless you want to pay through the nose for it at gun shows so for now I will put my carbine back in the safe and wait until components become more abundant once again.
308gun

Re: Reloading for the M1 Carbine

Post by 308gun »

I know what you are saying about the M1 carbine, I had put in a small supply before this madness hit, I am loading 45 acp now , after that i will load all my M1 carbine brass and still have extra bullets , some FMJ, and H.P. lead does real good , some supplies at last gun show but prices still sky high...looks like i will use up my power first, may have to bite the buck for more power... I have about 3000 30/06 case to load , yet and need more power....