Non toxic primers.

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Non toxic primers.

Post by Toepopper »

Last week I purchased some new 45 caliber ammunition and when I got home I gave it a quick inspection and noticed it had small pistol primers in the base of the casing. The headstamp says SPEER NT 45 AUTO. I have never seen 45s primed with small pistol primers before so I brought up the manufacturers web site to look for an explanation. The NT stands for Non Toxic and the new primers do not contain any lead styphnate in them. The new primers use a more powerful priming compound combined with a much larger flash hole diameter in the case, just under 1/8". All of my reloading manuals call for a large pistol primer but on the website it claims no loss of projectile velocity and better accuracy with the new NT primers. So this trend will eventually replace all the older 45 brass and now a reloader must take the extra step of seperating his brass into large primer and small primer groups so as not to jam up the priming machine.
308gun

Re: Non toxic primers.

Post by 308gun »

I already had this problem with 7.62x39 brass , seems at one point Remington started using small rifle primers, I did also come across some very old Remington brass with large primers , but only a few,, I use mostly CCI and Winchester , but no difference in results , and tried mag . primers nothing that i could see ,,, the powder load for 7.62x39 was the winning factor , I used H4198 to almost fill the case and got factory like results>>> :biggrin: