tips that some of the pro's miss !

308gun

tips that some of the pro's miss !

Post by 308gun »

I have watched a lot of shooters at the range new and old , and watched some pro's also. I learned that lots of shooters do not make good use of the rifle Sling or most seen to not use it at all... Here is my tip get a sling if you have none, not just to carry,, BUT using it to shoot better,,, even police or hunters, a SOFT sling in well in wear be it leather, web , or what even , the softer the better, as you go to Shoot, wrap around your wrist and adjust so that you get a good shooting sight and tighten but keep comfort in mind, (right-hand shooters), leave it that way for carry also , NEXT do not grip forearm in death grip,, But put the forearm on you left open hand palm up ,,, RELAX sling will defeat the body's movements, the left hand becomes your main rest, try this standing ,setting or even prone,,, this extra support is always ready ... this is not the same as USMC , range where sling goes on upper arm ,, the USMC model may be best ... but i find, few use it ,, and in combat or any rust to shoot a rifle , my wrist wrap works fast... and becomes a good shooting habit...some what like Jeff Cooper's view , but this way any sling will work better.......(cooper had a 3 point sling) also great ...(if you can find one)
WillyPete

Re: tips that some of the pro's miss !

Post by WillyPete »

I have plain slings on most of my rifles and on one or two of my shotguns. Mainly to carry them in a ready position over the shoulder where I can put it into firing position rapidly when necessary. The other is to lock the long gun in place to take a shot. I put my entire left arm through the sling with the fore part of the sling in my left palm with the fore part across the wrist and the rest of the sling in a straight line from there to high on my upper arm. In that manner I have a three point contact between me and my long gun that provides rock solid stability.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

You got it right, but i see lots shooters, miss that the sling helps to shoot better........ :coffee:
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Yeah, too many shooters really don't know about the advantages of a sling, for them it's just a hanger.