Went to a gun show today

WillyPete

Went to a gun show today

Post by WillyPete »

And I had a pretty good time, lots to drool over! I did try to make a purchase but got a delay of 5 days from NICS for who knows what.
I'll know in 5 days so, I'll just have to be patient.
Other than that, lots of probably patriotic people present perusing pieces, parts and products.
Sorry, had to let the alliteration out for a bit, it's back under cover now.
I saw pretty much anything you could possibly want regarding firearms; handguns of all ages, replica pieces, long guns of all sorts and ages, bladed equipment both folding and fixed, parts and pieces for most any firearm made, holsters, go-bags, range bags, cloth cases, hard cases, optics, lights of all shapes and sizes and more ammunition than even I could carry without a wheelbarrow or several. And don't forget all of the reloading supplies. Books galore and more clothing than could be worn by a company of infantry over a term of service.
I wish I could do that more often but, I'm glad I can't, my creditors wouldn't forgive me. :flower:
WillyPete

Re: Went to a gun show today

Post by WillyPete »

I made several calls to the dealer up until yesterday, the 14th and was told each time that I was still on delay from NICS.
I got fed up with NICS and called a representative directly. The NICS person I spoke with handled my call very professionally and told me that likely someone was looking deeper than normal at me for some unknown reason but, since there had been no decision either way by the NICS when the first representative promised a response, the dealer was allowed to make the transfer with no penalty to them at their discretion.
The dealer decided to go ahead with the transfer and I bought my guns yesterday. I purchased a RUGER MKIII 22/45 with a bull barrel and a Smith&Wesson BodyGuard chambered for .38special+P. Decent pricing with no shipping, just a credit card add-on because the banks charge the retailer for accepting their credit cards. It wasn't much and I didn't mind, I got my guns.
Now I just need to find time to get to the range to get a feel for them.
Surprisingly that BodyGuard, even being a J-frame fits my humongous hand quite well. I get two strong fingers on the grip and a comfortable finger on the trigger. I imagine the laser attached is already sighted in but, I'm gonna check anyway.
The RUGER 22/45 is also a quite comfortable fit. A scope rail was included so I may mount an optic assist after I check the iron sights.
I also need to get some more holsters, an IWB and an ankle holster for the Smith and a strong side belt holster for the RUGER.
I already have two S&W pistols so I know i got another good one. Next thing is to get my CWP so that I can finally carry one of them.
There's a business that does CWP training and will send my background search information to SLED that is close by and has a reasonable price for the process. Can't remember what but do know they are better than the one place I looked at earlier.
My boss is also going to check with someone he knows who may be able to take care of me for a good fee. I'll find out soon enough.
Anyway, I got my guns! Now I just need to go shoot them at some paper or something and see how they perform. :thumbs:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

What is NICS?
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

That is the National Instant Check System.
A program instituted under the Brady Bill back in about '94 after President Reagan got shot.
It is designed to prevent people who should not be having firearms from purchasing them from federally licensed firearms dealers.
The problem with it is that it has not done any good for the gun haters cause because criminals still get guns and law abiding citizens are still being prevented fro getting guns by that ridiculous, unusable, misinformed, diabolic system.
The only way I was able to make my purchase was by that one rule placed into the system's workings. If NICS does not respond with a decision when promised, the dealer may make the transfer at their own discretion.
I found that at a BATFE webpage. I've got to print a screen shot so that if the dealer gets any grief from BATFE, I will stand with her and put BATFE in their place with their own rules.
Of course, being the gubmint that wants to help, they've probably got all sorts of caveats elsewhere that will put me and the dealer in the doghouse for some time.
Truthfully, I expect NICS to just continue sitting on their thumbs and do nothing about my particular case, there's plenty of other law abiding citizens to harass this weekend at the next, bigger, gunshow.