A quite useful prep preparation

WillyPete

A quite useful prep preparation

Post by WillyPete »

For taking care of dental needs.
I had a filling fall out of one of my teeth some time ago so I went to a pharmacy and picked up a couple of packages of temporary filling material to use until I could get to a dentist for a permanent repair.
Looking at the packages, they are not too difficult to use and have a time limit on how long they can be in place written on the package but I don't know how accurate this is.
I picked up a couple to use one of them and to keep the others for future use as part of my FAKs. These items along with small bottles of clove oil can cover most any dental issue except for the need of an extraction. I have multi-tool pliers but I'm not that good at yanking a tooth, unless it's my own, I did it once. But, I did have a bottle of liquor nearby for treatment of the pain afterwards, it helped. For the clove oil, it will burn flesh and tissue so take extreme care when using it to only administer it directly on the spot where it needs to be. Anywhere else and damage to the flesh in that area is assured.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: A quite useful prep preparation

Post by Toepopper »

Clove oil is in my medicine supply kit but I did not know about it damaging fleshy material. Orogel in tube form is another emergency tooth pain reliever and oil of clove may be one of the ingrediants. One very good source of emergency dental surgery is the book "When There Is No Dentist". It goes into great detail describing all the do's and don'ts when forced to extract an abcessed or broken tooth in the field.
WillyPete

Re: A quite useful prep preparation

Post by WillyPete »

I have that book downloaded on my laptop just for that particular use.
I did not know about clove oil being damaging to flesh either, I read that in a different dental article somewhere.
Orajel is a great analgesic for teeth, I've used it just about every time I've broken a tooth, which is too often for comfort.
I believe that cotton can be used as a temporary filling if one falls out, pack it small and tight and it will fill the opening until something permanent can be done.