Watchman
Foreman

Two Accessories For A Home Defense Shotgun

Post by Watchman »

“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Re: Two Accessories For A Home Defense Shotgun

Post by WillyPete »

Pretty good ideas he has there. Personally, I do not like the neoprene spare ammo cuffs, they tend to stretch at critical moments, or snag, and drop rounds. I put a magazine extension on mine so I have 7 rounds instead of 5 at the ready. In an HD situation, I don't know how many I'll actually need but, grabbing extra rounds to replace the ones that fell out of the cuff takes more time than I like to think about. If I manage to think about it, I'll stuff some extra rounds in pockets if I'm wearing pants that have pockets. If I'm in my skivvies, 7 rounds will have to be enough. My off hand will be holding a flashlight at night.
Likely, in an HD situation I'll retrieve my pistol and a spare mag since their handier to carry than a shotgun and, it carries even more rounds to be available.
I do like the ghost ring sights idea. I've never used them but I can see their usefulness. I have a 30mm red-dot sight on my main shotgun that does an excellent job. Even if the battery is dead I can frame a zone in the sight tube to know where the shot column will be heading.
Hearing protection is another matter and yes, an important matter. Even with the incredible usefulness of that hearing protection, it's another item you must train for using and then remember to use in a defensive situation. Getting those things on your head properly then setting them to operate properly will take some precious seconds. I do not know how badly the report from firing a weapon in a house will be but, as he said, the adrenaline rush will take care of a lot until it wears off. I hope hearing will not be as impaired as he has stated. Plus, I read of self defense encounters and articles of self defense training in my American Rifleman magazine every month from NRA. Not one of them addresses loss of hearing in any of the scenarios other than using good protective gear during the training sessions.
Things that make you go hmmm.
Anyway, I like the ideas and have incorporated some of them in my own defense setups. They'll work just as well as I've trained for them to work.