Interesting article from the Sipsey Street Irregulars:

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot. ... pment.html
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Webring Equipment

Post by Toepopper »

No chest vest for this puppy. I am old school and that 10 cm means no holes through my head and shoulders area. They may shoot through my pack, canteens etc but I will stick with whats comfortable and familiar.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

IF you view some of old war films of the Marines in WW2 in the Pacific ... almost all the time the Marines in the firefight or taking a bunker , are packing LITE , meaning no packs, no vests, sometimes no shirts, may be a bandoleer or 2 , or ammo belt like in m1 or ammo mags stuck any where.... 2 reasons HEAT , able to move fast or easy ,,,,,,, and in real fighting what do you need other than ammo ,, all the rest is dead wight ... after the fight every thing is yours if you are aLIVE !!!!!
acet7

Post by acet7 »

I have a vest that I can put items on it via webbing but it would be hard to be in the prone position w/ that stuff (mags, light, etc.) on me.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

IF you think old GI or the new type cargo pants ,have big side pockets , use that to carry extra mags, or a small water bottle that will help a lot also.. carry a knife on your belt , If using 30 round mags you can tape or clip two mags , one in each direction use dust cover or rubber condon to cover unused mag,s........the ammo carry is still your most important issue,,,I like the cheap AK47 pouches on a sling , some carry 4 or some 6 mags... sling it over your back, and when you get down prone , thow it right beside you for fast reloads... every thing else is junk that could get you killed , I like also is the butt stock cleaning kits , lifesaving item........ after the fight clean out all the bad guys junk , put in sack or cheap backpack like kids use for school that can be droped fast if trouble too...
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Do any of you know what LVG stands for, pertaining to some kind of military vest?
Those big pockets sewn into cargo pants ( we called them jungle utility pants in V.N.) will hold a lot of stuff like a full C-ration meal in its cardboard box but you have to be real careful with what you stick in those pockets and how its wrapped. If doing a long hike you can easily wear a hole into your thigh with a C-ration box or spare magazines that will move back and forth with the momentum of your legs even when lashed securely using the tie down straps that are sewn into those pockets. If you are running, that extra cargo will move even more and accelerate this problem. I made the mistake of carrying 1 extra M-14 mag in each pocket and did not get a half mile before I had to remove them due to the wear and tear on my legs. Next I tried carrying 2 extra canteens, the green plastic ones that don't make any metalic noises. Same result. I finally ended up carrying some letter writing gear wrapped up in a plastic baggie and that did not weigh enough to cause any harm.