Sling Swivel

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Sling Swivel

Post by Toepopper »

I use a Harris bipod on my rifles which mounts onto the front sling swivel stud on the rifle. The Harris bipod has a sling loop attached to it so that you can re-attach the sling to this loop. However, when carrying a scoped rifle over the shoulder using the bipod sling loop, there is the possibility of the bipod popping off of the sling swivel it is attached to due to the added force and movement placed on this swivel stud. I don't trust this system and have heard horror stories of rifles detaching and coming down hard onto rocks and other terrain throwing off the zero of the scope and scarring up the end of the bore. So, to eliminate this problem I added a second front sling swivel to my Remington 700 so as to be able to use the rear swivel for a sling and the front swivel for attaching the bipod. The rifle now looks like a "police special" type of stock. I bought a package of 25 threaded sling studs with nuts, on sale at Midway for $5. After affixing the bipod to the original factory stud I pencilled a line onto the stock at the rear of the bipod and located a drill site 1/2" behind this line. After removing the rifle receiver and barrel from the stock and centering the drill location I drilled a 3/16" hole through the synthetic stock on a drill press. I then took an old worn out 3/8" spade drill (for drilling wood) and ground down the cutting edges so that they were straight across so this could be used for a counter bore tool to make the hole larger on the inside of the stock to accept the nut. I turned the stock over and very carefully drilled a counter bore hole deep enough to accept the nut on the end of the new stud. After cleaning out the debris I threaded in the new stud, put a small washer in the counterbore hole and put the capnut on using locktite. The next day I mixed up a 2 part acrylic compound and filled in the hole, burying the nut so there is no way it can move. The finished product is just like a $400. police sniper special stock and is extremely strong and will allow me to carry the rifle at sling arms with the bipod attached without worrying about the rifle unexpectedly dropping off. :D
SS5R

Re: Sling Swivel

Post by SS5R »

Good idea. I never thought of the bi-pod coming loose while carrying it by the sling but I guess it can happen. Mine weighs in at about 12 lbs so it is possible. I think I will do the same to my 700.
308gun

Re: Sling Swivel

Post by 308gun »

I always use the USMC quik sling arm wrap makes a much more study shot or if TIME I use USMC RANGE SLING set up the best in my view... I like the cotton web sling as per the M1 or M14 I know leather may be better but can get very stiff under winter conditions ... don't have a sling yet I say get one yesterday !