Long term storage of seeds

Saving non-hybrid seeds for later use - regardless of what the bureaucrats say! Emergency packs of seeds - you've all seen them.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Long term storage of seeds

Post by fern »

I am wondering how to store seeds for long term use? I save many of my own seeds each year and have no problem saving for one winter but I am considering options for longer term storage. If anyone has successful methods, I would be interested in hearing about them! I have read on line about freezing them but what happens when the power goes out? Many bloggers have said just stuff them in a dark drawer! : ) I have not read about vacuum sealing although I have done that with a number of my seeds to see what will happen.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Re: Long term storage of seeds

Post by WillyPete »

I would think you could also pack them in a "non-oxygenated" environment. I'm considering a Ball or Mason jar with a valve in the lid where, after I fill it with seeds I can then remove the air in the jar and refill it with nitrogen or carbon dioxide.
Nitrogen would be a bit difficult for most to obtain but, bottles of carbon dioxide can be purchased, and refilled, at various retailers since these are used for the paintball guns. I imagine that a pressure regulator out of a paintball gun would give enough control to keep the gas from over-pressurizing the container.
I work with nitrogen on a daily basis so I have bottles and a regulator to make use of it and refills are fairly inexpensive.
side_job

Post by side_job »

I put up my seed as follows.

For larger seeds (beans etc) I use mason jars with a good lid. I don't find it as important to remove the air inside as much as I do the moisture. So what I do is I add a handful of rice in and seal it.

For smaller seeds (tomato etc.) I have had good results in once the seed is completely dry, I wrap them in a paper towel and fold it up into a rectangle, that will fit into one of the ziplock snack size bags. With a good seal on the ziplock and the paper towel for moisture you should have no trouble.

I have used these methods for a few years and I've had no problem with germination. I have even skipped years and they will germinate fine the second. I do not have any actual experience with skipping more than 1 year (keeping past 2 years) but I would suspect the same results. The longer term storage may be aided by putting them in a freezer.

SJ
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

I put my seeds in an envelope or a paper lunch bag depending on the size or amount of seeds i'm saving,then place them in a cardboard box and store it in the closet.As long as bugs or moisture doesn't get to them they do just fine .I've used seed that are 4 to 5 years old with no problems of germination.A friend gave me a shoe box full of seed from the ferry morris seed co. several years ago and i'm still using those seed.