Cat needs assistance

Look in 'Joseph's Storehouse' for meat animals.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Cat needs assistance

Post by fern »

Two years ago, I was adopted by a very scrawny little cat (kitten) that was pregnant. I am allergic to cats and therefore have no knowledge about them. She was so pitifully skinny that you could clearly see she was carrying two tiny little babies. I fed her and assisted in the birth saving one kitten from being squished while she had the other. Long story short...she has been with me over two years now and is the love of our home...outside. I did take her to get shots and spayed and a neighbor gram took both kittens. Early last year, we moved into a burb area of a small town but not a rural area. The cat made the move with no problem, unlike me, and settled into protecting our lot just fine. We invested in a heated cat house and spend most of our time at home on the porch with her. We have had 18 months of peacefulness. But last month, two large toms appeared. They have been beating the crap out of this little cat and she will certainly fight to the death. I have had to take her to the vet every week and the last time was quite serious. I have bought several box traps but cannot catch them. I am currently getting very ill with her in our home and she really does not like being in the house at all. Getting in and out is not an easy process. Does anyone have knowledge on how to catch tom cats? All info would be greatly appreciated!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Cat needs assistance

Post by Toepopper »

You may have to spring for a "Have A Heart" trap. They come in several sizes and cost about $45. They work and I have relocated many big tom cats as well as racoons, opossum's, fox and ringtail's. Check out these traps at any livestock/horse supply store or ranch supply. One visit to the vet will cost you more money than buying the trap.
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

place an open can of sardines in your trap,that should do the trick.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I have 3 of the Have a Heart traps that I bought at Agway. Been using tuna though! I am off to buy sardines!!! Thank you both very much. I am definitely getting desperate. Not sure though...the cat may be more desperate. She is not a good house cat whatsoever other than the litter thing. We have a pan of cinders from our fireplace in the basement and that is where she does her thing. She won't go near the litter box I bought. I totally understand though. She is the free spirit that we all would prefer to be and in that case cinders are much better than whatever litter is made from.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

The Sardines worked Cowboy!!! Thank you! My husband left this morning with Tom #1!!! It is no wonder this poor little cat is hurt. The tom was at least 3 times her size! 50% there and hopeful!!
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

As a followup, we have caught so many toms in the last year with the have-a-heart traps and sardines that it is amazing! We finally caught that extremely large tom with the extra large cage too. He tore the cage to bits and it no longer worked after my better half hauled him to a far away rig site and released him. What a surprise it was when this spring a slightly smaller version of this massive tom appeared at our home. I guess he was spreading his wealth to every female in the neighborhood. We caught that giant young tom too. I am just amazed at the amount of uncared for cats in our little town.

We went to Indianapolis last week to visit our son. We stayed at a La Quinta near their home. I wake early so I walked around the hotel each morning and kept seeing strange boxes with holes at the two back corners of the property. The manager explained to me that the city collects all the wild cats, spays/neuters them, gives them their shoots, and releases back to where they found them. They cut the top end of their left ears off so the public can adopt the cats and not worry about getting shots, etc. When we went to our son's home that evening, I saw at least five cats walking down the street with missing ear tops and then realized that our son's cat had the same thing. There are feeding stations all over the place and they pay people to pick up the feed after midnight and deliver it to all these feeding stations throughout the city including these two ends of the hotel property. The manager said they are at all the hotels and most restaurant sites.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I guess it would help keep the city rat population down. I am just unsure what it costs the city to do such a humane thing on a daily basis. I am not a good cat person although I now at least can understand some benefits of cats. Previous to getting adopted by one, I did not care a wit whether they lived or died. I now really like the fact that I never have a snake or chipmunk or squirrel or even ground hog on my property. Never have to think about a mouse in my house! I like it!! Just don't like the carcasses I have to constantly clean up in front of the door every day.