Transportation Oversite

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Transportation Oversite

Post by Toepopper »

I try to be prepared as much as possible for any mechanical breakdown. I carry 5 gallons of extra water, plus extra oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and spare fan belts. I always have a tool box full of every concievable tool to handle every type of breakdown so I can repair it, or at least get my vehicle going as far as the next repair shop up the road. Last week I was driving over the hill to town and my Jeep started vibrating. I immediately pulled off the highway and before I could stop the rear driveshaft let loose from a bad U-joint and started flopping around and bouncing between the pavement and the underside of the Jeep. I was able to coast into and straddle the ditch which allowed me the room to crawl under the vehicle to see whats what. When I saw what had happened I thought no sweat, I can disconnect the front of the driveshaft from the transfer case, remove it and drive home using the front axle in 4 wheel drive. However, the cap head machine screws which bolted the front of the driveshaft to the transfer case were all smashed and bashed so I could not use an allen wrench to remove them. I tried pliers and chanel locks but could not get a good grip because there was not enough room for them to fit. One tool would work, a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers which I did not have with me. Time to walk. I walked home, 5 miles in 90 degree heat, uttering every cuss word I could think of in every language I could remember. I'm way too old for this s___. I don't own a cell phone and walking is the price you must pay for being independant. I was whipped by the time I got home but picked up my wife and we drove to the NAPA parts store and got a pair of needle nosed vise grips, then drove back to the Jeep and removed the driveshaft. So now those needle nose vise grips are staying in my tool box so this type of disaster never happens again. This is a classic demonstration that no matter how prepared you think you may be there is always some unforseen circumstance or detail that can ruin your day.