"Star" marked magazines

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

"Star" marked magazines

Post by Toepopper »

A few years ago the U.S. military gave a contract to build 25 round capacity M14 magazines for use by our designated marksmen in the sandbox wars of the middle east. Lately I have seen these mags for sale at local gun shows so I took a chance and bought 2 of them. The writing on the package said military spec, STAR stamped magazines. There is a 5 pointed star stamped in the side of the mag and supposedly this represents a high quality product. They are parkerized, have steel followers and employ the same length spring as the original 20 round mags. I took them to the range for a test and they worked fine with no feeding malfunctions. The price was right too at $35 apiece.
308gun

Re: "Star" marked magazines

Post by 308gun »

Speaking of mags.I got 2 M14 mags. made in South Korea, were marked mil-spec. and in brown wax paper , took to range and had no problems at all, i am bringing this up as due to the shortage of all mags. some might like to check out the South Korea made mags, also saw M16 and M1 carbine mags look well made.. If in need do not pass up the South Korea stuff... Anything from China after market i do not trust...
Toepopper

Re: "Star" marked magazines

Post by Toepopper »

The original equipment used in the manufacture of American G.I. M14 20 round magazines was sold to S. Korea in the early 1970s after the M14 was replaced with the M16. Mags made in South Korea are as good a quality as the originals because they are produced with the same tooling and procedures although some mags are blued steel instead of a parkerized finish.
I have a box full of low quality aftermarket pieces of junk garbage 30 round M14 mags that did not work. One fell out of the rifle after the first round bacause it had a stamped wedge on the backside where the mag snaps into the rifle and is held in place by the op spring guide. Mil spec mags have a little rectangular piece of steel welded onto the mag. It was made from a lighter guage steel with a weaker spring also, and is now being stored for extra parts in case of emergency. These mags were made by ProMag so my advice is to stay away from this junk and get the good quality mags that will function properly.