9MM misfires.

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

9MM misfires.

Post by Toepopper »

About one year ago a Georgia State Highway Patrolman was involved in an incident where he had to use lethal force to save his own life. After making the decision to pull the trigger, he did and nothing happened. Remembering his training he immediately racked the slide and chambered a new round which fired. After the incident there was a full investigation and the round that misfired was inspected. The primer had a full firing pin indentation so it was sent back to the manufacturer (Winchester) for analysis. The Winchester lab removed the projectile and found--"The cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times." The officer had several young children and when off duty he unloaded his weapon for safety in his home. When reporting into work he rechambered the same round over and over and this caused the primer to fail. Two thousand rounds of 9mm ammunition from the same lot was sent back to Winchester and they all fired. This is the same routine I always do when I clean my pistol but will rotate the rounds from now on to avoid the chance of this happening. Also, they recommend feeding the first round into the chamber from the magazine and not dropping it in by hand as this causes more inertia on the round and could cause the primer to malfunction. This is all news to me, I had never heard of this happening before and will adjust my habits accordingly and anyone who carries concealed should watch out for the possibility of this happening.