Winter gear.

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Winter gear.

Post by Toepopper »

We had an unusually cold blast of air come down from the Gulf Of Alaska and park itself directly over the Pacific North West. Temperatures plunged and the power kept going on and off. We use wood heat so we could at least stay warm but each time I ventured outside to get more firewood I realized that If I were forced to live outdoors during these extreme temperatures I would be hurtin for certain. This prompted me to change the gear in my BOB to more appropriate items for surviving cold weather. First was the removal of my military sleeping bag, mountain, type 1949. This bag was replaced with a much bigger military mummy style "extreme cold weather" sleeping bag which, when used with the gortex outer waterproof shell, is rated to minus 30 degrees. This bag is much heavier and when rolled up as tight as I can get it the bag and its shell are almost 2 feet around. Rather than tie it to my pack I slung it with a 2" wide canvas strap and carry it slung over my shoulder. My old mountain mummy bag was inserted into a commercial sleeping bag and the two were placed and wrapped inside another marine corps issue gortex outer shell and tied to my wifes small alice pack. I have also added a 6x12 foot camo tarp to each BOB as well as 10 Bic lighters to insure that I will be able to get a fire going in cold-wet winter weather. :thumbs:
WillyPete

Re: Winter gear.

Post by WillyPete »

Definitely a good idea to tailor your bags to the season toepopper. I keep a heavy coat in my truck along with the gear in my get home box since I'm with it most of the day and, if I hafta G.O.O.D., hop in the truck, fire it up and git. I have what i have for a few days so I can go where I need to go.
Sleeping bags I keep at the house for those just in case times so they're handy. We haven't had to use them yet ya never know. We haven't had any really bad weather here yet but it's surely on its way.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Well, bad weather got here finally. Dec 25th we got our first Christmas snowfall since records began being kept in 1887 or so. Today we got more snow and now have freezing rain that will continue until after midnight with likely frozen roads some of tomorrow morning. The whole southeast has been blanketed with snow such that several states have declared a state of emergency, not ours though.
Anyway, I've taken stock of our at home goods and materials and we are OK for several days, week or two yet. Besides, this stuff is supposedly going to be all gone Wednesday afternoon or night.
If we have to go out for an emergency, we have front wheel drive vehicles, a four wheel drive vehicle and competent operators.
We've also not lost our electrical power so, we're OK and I'm becoming bored with just sitting for most of the day. Not that bad but I was very prepared for my first day of teaching for this new term and the new year, lots of good material chompin' at the bit to be given to students. And, it's a perfect time of year to get them introduced to real world conditions dealing with our trade. Nothing like being able to show heat pumps in action through full cycles. Man, I can't wait to get back to school!
Since we're not working tomorrow, I'm going to work on putting together another kit bag. I'll have pictures. :thumbs:
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

I have seen these units being sold in surplus stores outside of Camp Pendelton Ca and they are cheap, about $7 each. This is old technology but they work and have stood the test of time. They are called "shelter halves" in the marine corps. Each man carries one and they snap together to make a 2 man pup tent to keep the rain and snow off of your bod while you catch some zzzeeees. They are lightweight and waterproof and will keep a blanket dry when its rolled up inside a shelter half.
:thumbs: