Finally did it!

Preserving and storing your food supply by home-canning methods.
WillyPete

Finally did it!

Post by WillyPete »

Got myself into canning! :shock: Not a lot really, just did my first batch of jelly from wild muscadine and scuppernong grapes from the vines at my daughter's house.
I found a decent recipe online and used that for my batch and so far, everything has turned out well, near as I know.
I did find out that I should get everything prepped better before I get started, I had to spaz out a few times to get the jars ready, get the lids and bands ready, get the water bath canner filled, heated and ready. Nothing major mind you. :roll:
But, once all was said and done, I have seven half pint jars of wild grape jelly doing their cool and set thing. Maybe a few days later I'll bake up some biscuits, butter 'em down and slap on the jelly to see how bad I did. :o
I still have enough grapes left from the gathering to make another batch and a half, I'll have to get some more to have 2 full batches instead although, I did find a recipe for syrup so I may do that instead of jelly again.
I bought a large pressure canner today too, I'll work my way into canning other foodstuffs that require that treatment. Put up some vittles for later instead of the desserts I guess. :oops:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: Finally did it!

Post by fern »

I have never canned jelly WillyPete! Had not even thought of it until your post! I make it but just pour the melted wax on and set the lids. The suction takes care of the rest and we eat any that did not seal right away. I will have to try it though. Thank you for sharing. Prepare though....you will be eating the best jelly you have ever tasted!!! Homemade is THE best and a even tad better when you did it yourself!!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Yep, I expect it to be better than any I have ever had from a store since I made it not some machine.
Once I got the jars loaded I ran them through a water bath canner for 10 minutes then pulled them out and set them on a big cutting board for cooling and watched the lids seal themselves with a good sounding pop!
I had been talking with my mother in law about jellies and she always made hers with the freezer method. I hadn't even considered doing it that way since I have a big water bath canner that's been waiting patiently for a couple of years. I'm likely to make some muscadine syrup probably Friday morning to enjoy over waffles or biscuits or something. Or I'll make some more jelly, those vines have so much grape bunches on them it ain't funny. Just have to get some more jars is all, only had one flat of half pint but lots of pints and quarts and no recipes I've looked at will handle pints or quarts. Go figure.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I actually found myself picking up a bushel or more of yellow delicious apples yesterday. Went to the home of a fellow that works with me on different projects and as I was walking up his long sidewalk, I realized there were a few yummy looking apples in his yard. Nice big bright yellow apples rather than the normal little semi green ones typical for this area. My mouth started watering so I walked over to the tree and was able to reach a good looking one. It was sweet, crisp and juicy. By the time I knocked on his door, I had eaten it all. He told me to help myself since the tree produces a lot more than they could ever eat. You never have to ask me twice so now I have lots of apples to deal with! I sure wouldn't mind bumping into grapes like you are talking about WillyPete!
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Apples, Sweet! I have the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving that I use as a reference and applesauce is something I'd like to put up. Store brands are only fair, I'd like to get some better and like you said, home made is the best! Just remembered, at one end of one of the grapevines at my daughter's, there is an old apple tree that is not currently producing. Probably because it's covered with grapevines. Since it's not dead yet, I'll remove those vines and prune it down this fall/winter and maybe get some fresh apples come spring. Mmmmm, applesauce!
I did find a good website that has great information for canning and preserving and it keeps lists of U-Pick locations state by state where you can get whatever they have. It's at http://www.pickyourown.org
Give it a look, you'll like what it offers. Here's a direct link to Pennsylvania: http://www.pickyourown.org/PA.htm
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Thanks WillyPete! I typically make a run for apples and fall produce to the Amish area of PA. They still don't use chemicals and their orchards produce luscious goodies. I take the pickup and fill it up outside and in. Then distribute to all my family and help fill the freezer with ready to bake pies and can peaches and such. I enjoy all apples but their yellow delicious is the best I have ever eaten. I can't wait to go. Without my garden goodies this year, I feel the loss of being busy and productive putting it all away. I may see what I can buy from their gardens too.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I just finished 6 pints of Muscarnong syrup. Muscadine and Scuppernong grapes, I bolluxed the two words to make it a combination like the grapes. Of course, it could be Scuppedine too. I'll stop now. :wink:
Judging by the way the stock smells, this ought to be some of the best syrup I have ever tasted too. Can't wait for waffles! :D
I'm making biscuits for breakfast tomorrow and breaking open the first jar of jelly. Everyone here is anxious to try it too, I do hope I did well.
Never realized how much fun canning is, getting better than store bought is great!
Ah, I hear the lids setting! I guess I did OK on the sealing part.