Lupin or Lupini Bean

SS5R

Lupin or Lupini Bean

Post by SS5R »

I have been looking into a bean called the Lupin or Lupini bean. We used to eat these when I was kid but I only knew them as (tremoços), the Portuguese name. These are kind of like a fava bean in the since they can be planted early in the season and withstand temps down to the mid teens, they don’t grow in a pod but in the flower. The bean itself has to be cured in a salt brine to be eatable because it contains high amounts of alkaloids and is to bitter to eat without curing but I understand they have a sweet Lupini that does not require the salt brine cure. They are second to soybeans in protein and have a full range of amino acids. The dried bean can also be ground into high protein flour.
So here you have a bean you can trust that is not genetically modified by Monsanto, (as is 95 % of the soybeans grown), you can grow it yourself, you can preserve it and it can be grown in a wide verity of climates. 100 grams of beans has 36 grams of protein and the full range of amino acids.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Lupin or Lupini Bean

Post by Watchman »

I'd like to learn more about the sweet lupini.
“Two is one, one is none”
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I found one place that has Lupini seeds. I think these are the sweet but they still have to be cured to a certain extent. http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com has them for $5.99 per pound and they have cooking instructions. They are located in Moyie Springs, Idaho. 1-208-267-0627.
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

the lupinis are one of my favorite little snacks. so yummy..

maybe i should buy some seeds :D