Insulation instalation.

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Insulation instalation.

Post by Toepopper »

Last year I installed a big wood stove in my shop and now I am in the process of retro insulating the shop to help retain heat. This will give me a second place to live if my house should suddenly burn down to the ground. I took advantage of the insulation sale at Home Depot and purchased several bundles of R-21 formaldahyde free, paper backed fiberglass insulation and hung it between the studs in the attick of my shop. The ceiling in the attick had already been insulated with R-35. After installing the wall insulation I covered the walls with half inch drywall for fire protection. The next phase of this job will be to install insulation in the gable end walls and drywall them also. Then the ceiling in the garage side of the shop. This is a big project but will be worth the effort in retaining heat and using much less firewood to heat the building.
I have also stored a box mattress and bed in the shop, leaned it up against a wall so its out of the way, as well as eating utensils and cooking pots and pans so we have the ability to cook and boil water on the woodstove should the need arise. Next summer I am going to build a 10' x 40' addition onto the back of the shop with concrete block walls filled with concrete with a shed type roof and a small bathroom. The block walls will be backfilled with earth from the adjacent hillside so the room will be below grade and offer some protection.