Re-use of some common items for storage, that may be unusual

WillyPete

Re-use of some common items for storage, that may be unusual

Post by WillyPete »

I've taken to recycling various storage items that may be unconventional but, really do work.
I got the idea from another magazine I read that deals with self sufficiency and survival situations.
The article I had read dealt with placing caches in strategic locations for when you had to leave your primary abode for whatever reason.
The author suggested using a plastic peanut butter jar as a storage method since the plastic is fairly heavy duty and will last for quite some time as well as being able to be made very water resistant. I now wash, keep and reuse plastic food jars and bottles for storage of not so critical items. My wife makes protein bars for meals as part of her health regimen and part of those bars is a portion of cashews. The jars of cashews she obtains are about 2 quart capacity, square and sturdy, they stack very nicely. I have one to store the marble packages I find at the dollar stores that become slingshot ammunition, peanut butter jars for parts and pieces in the garage and some, after a serious washing and cleaning, to store dried foods in my crates. Beans, rice and some pastas pack very well into those jars. Placing a layer of heavy plastic sheet under the lid keeps it well sealed from moisture for short term storage.
Any thoughts?
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Re-use of some common items for storage, that may be unu

Post by Toepopper »

Good ideas. A little common sense goes a long way. The only problems I have ever encountered when using these items is when you bury certain essential components in the ground it is better to double wrap them, one container placed inside another so condensation does not get at the components and ruin them. I don't know why but the second inner package will remain moisture free when using 2 containers, one inside the other.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

When I have one of those jars with a large enough opening, I put a zipper top storage bag into the jar, fill the bag, zip it closed then cap the jar. So far the contents are still usable, I'll find out eventually.
acet7

Post by acet7 »

WillyPete wrote: I read that deals with self sufficiency and survival situations.
What magazine do you read?
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I read Backwoodsman Magazine. You can find it here: http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/
It's a mostly informative magazine that is not about survival in the broad sense but more about day to day living in a simpler fashion.
If you're looking for a magazine strictly, or mostly, about survival techniques and technology, this ain't the magazine. If you're looking for advice on how to deal with living in a more off the grid manner, this one will most assuredly help.