Firearms refinishing

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Firearms refinishing

Post by Toepopper »

I had 2 antique firearms I wanted to re-finish and hang on the wall, been putting this project off for years due to no spare time. They were in bad shape with rust and pitting on a double barrel shotgun and no finish left on a Winchester Model 1900. I bought a can of Dura Coat in a spray can which has been out for about a year now. Actually its a can inside another can, the interior can contains the hardener. There is a second button sitting in a recess in the bottom of the can and when your ready to spray you press the bottom button to release the hardener and shake the can before spraying. The contents will be good to spray for 3 days after releasing the hardener. It took many hours to sand and remove the rust and pitting on both guns. I used 1000 grit sand paper and plenty of elbow grease to get down to bare metal. All parts were removed and prepped. A final wipe down with rubbing alcohol just before spraying insured no grit or oil film remained on the steel. I wanted to use all the spray in the can so I prepped an old pistol too in case I had left over material in the can. Spraying is like spray painting anything else, I took my time and applied 4 coats to cover the steel, waiting a half hour between coats and had enough left to also spray the pistol. I hung the parts on wires to spray them and let them hang there and dry for 5 days before re assembly. It takes 3 to 4 weeks to fully cure. All weapons look like new and I am a happy camper that they came out so well.