bullion vs coins

WillyPete

Re: bullion vs coins

Post by WillyPete »

What you're saying about the possibility of fake metals being introduced into the world 308gun is now one of the reasons I am not such a fan of purchasing large quantities of precious metals as a hedge against inflation or as a trade medium in a PAW. I have not really been a big fan of investing in PMs in any case since they may not be as useful as some claim them to be. Precious metals may not have as much value as many seem to believe simply because those metals are not quite so useful as other items will be.
I would much rather lay in a large supply of salt or seeds or fishhooks as lay up a large supply of gold bullion, jewelry or coin, they're infinitely more useful after the fall.
Not to say that having precious metals is a bad thing, those will have some use in a PAW, I just don't see much use except for a short period in the beginning.
And, if I could, I'd obtain some precious metals for those just in case moments when whoever I'm working/bartering with wants those precious metals as payment for whatever and won't accept my salt, seeds or fishhooks. I wonder how that will work out in the long run.
In any case, diversity is still the watchword, have some of everything you can get your hands on, you'll likely need it at some point. I'm concentrating on those immediately useful items, precious metals will just have to be what I already have.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Providing you have the means to protect it, bullion (or ingots) may be a way to build and maintain a wealth system in a post-collapse situation.

For everyday transactions, though, small silver coins would probably be the most practical and as Willy says, bartering supplies. Barter will be the most common method of commerce. If you come upon a country fair and they are selling loaves of bread you can't purchase a loaf with a gold ingot and ask for change. For the most part, small sellers will be dealing with small denominations or other things THEY need.
“Two is one, one is none”
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I was told that silver coins were still 40% silver until 1969. Is this correct? I thought it was only half dollars after 1964. I do not find anything about it on line but someone said they buy them at coin shows.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Negatory. Silver dollars and Kennedy half dollars have silver in them and the halves silver content varies with different years. All quarters and dimes since 1964 are junk metals. SS5R knows all the facts on this topic and maybe he will chime in.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Best I know is that coins 1964 and earlier have a very high silver content alloy if not pure silver. After '64 the silver content is reduced in many of them a bit every year until nowadays, like pennies and copper plating, silver coins may be only silver plated if at all. Likely they're just a shiny metal plating with no precious metal to them whatsoever.
Pennies have been copper plated zinc for the longest time but zinc has been increasing in price for awhile to where the mint is losing scads of money on the lowly penny, nickels haven't been nickel since about 1964 or so and we know about silver coins.
With all of that, I wonder if there will be a subsequent push by our government to move to a "world currency" but use a plastic card to make the actual transactions instead of trading cash for purchases.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit as that would be an excellent way for our "elite leaders" to keep tabs on all of us. And don't forget for controlling us as well. We do something "they" don't like, "they" cut off our purchasing ability and we're left high and dry. Do as "they" say and you can remain a member of society.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

that is the one item that the NWO wants is control of all TRADE , silver, gold, coins , will only help , AFTER the S--- if we make it and are rebuilding........ get some , but water, and food may be better and ammo can be used as money in hard times , you can not use the RFID at Walmart, to get your ammo if blood is in the streets.a good sign is ever one in the EU is starting to get nationlist longings, that could brind down the NWO, so watch the far east , CHINA is buying all the gold, silver and metals it can get !!!!and JAPAN is longing for it's glory days.......
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

The NWO boys tried to implement the cashless society in Argentina a few years ago and the people went ballistic, rioting in the streets etc and absolutely would not go along with the program. The banksters had to back down. Are the people in our country dumb enough to let this happen here? I don't think so, and one result would be the implamentation of a massive underground economy, people trading commodities and swapping labor transactions. The tax boys would have a fit trying to control that mess.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

The "B" word!

Barter
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Hey, I do that "B" word now anyway. Much better than tradin' cash for anything. Plus, I can never run out of skill etc.