Storing potato's

Food production and storage.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Storing potato's

Post by Toepopper »

In a normal winter with mild temperatures and lots of rainfall I leave my spuds right in the ground and dig them up as we need them. This saves space and labor and the potato's have always remained nice and crisp and taste delicious. This is the beginning of a not so normal winter with record shattering cold, snow and ice covered roads and bridges along with frozen ground. I had to out and dig up the rest of the red Russets to keep them from freezing solid and now I have to find a place to store them until we use them. Temps are supposed to drop down to single digits tonight with the approach of this cold air mass pushing down from the Gulf Of Alasks.
SS5R

Re: Storing potato's

Post by SS5R »

I put mine in a wooden box in the basement about 4 weeks ago. It stays right around 62 degrees down there. I have checked them every week and have had to take out about six that started to turn bad most of which were the Red Pontiac, the All Blue seem to store well. The ground is now covered with snow and frozen. It was 7 degrees this mourning.