Diatomaceous earth

Food production and storage.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Diatomaceous earth

Post by fern »

I have been stocking up diatomaceous earth with my supplies. It is a handy product for human use (ensuring you only purchase the food grade organic kind), for all animals, and to rid yourself of bugs. My aunts and uncles drank it everyday saying it kept them from getting or having arthritic pains and "to keep good and wormed"! My dad always mixed it in with the freshly harvested stored grains. An old home I bought years ago had carpenter ants and termites. With proper applications of this stuff, they die! I just ordered a new dust sprayer since there seems to be flea problem in this area and I want to be prepared if they happen to appear at my home. It is good for interior and exterior use around the house. It is also a good product to spray on your garden and rose bushes. No more bugs.
It is also good to use in your superpails of stored flours/grains.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
cowboy38229

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Post by cowboy38229 »

Just remember it kills good bugs just as well as the bad.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Post by fern »

You are so right Cowboy!! I have never met a bug that I want in my house though! Using the natural soft rock phosphates in the garden limits to totally removes most bad garden bugs so I have never used D-earth there. I know people that do and swear by it. I also feed it to the cat that adopted us for a week a couple of times a year.

While living on the waterfront on the Chesapeake Bay...I would use it all over our porch and on our garage doors though in later summer. There were large, hairy, white spiders (with a bright orange diamond on its back) that would totally enclose every opening into our home (including windows) while we slept each night. I invested in extra brooms and had one at each opening but they simply kept spreading till they covered our vehicles! Their webs would not even break or blow off driving down the highway. I started dusting all vehicles and doors each night before going to bed. That ended our problem in those areas. We had no lack of every other type of good or bad bug there just no more at those points. Yuck...they still give me the creeps!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin