yaesu mobile ham

fern
Patriot
Patriot

yaesu mobile ham

Post by fern »

I have a chance to buy a yaesu mobile ham for $70 that seems to work great. I don't know what works great really means though. It has a ton of stations or whatever you call them that seemed busy. The sound was clear. All the lights worked and he chatted with folks on it. Would this be a good purchase? The owner ran through all the uses and told me so much more than I can even fathom. The unit seems to work great. It is owned by a otr truck driver that has retired so he has his home base he uses now and is selling this unit. He has another one of this exact radio in his pickup. Said it is the best there is and no longer made. Also said this is the one that most emergency folks use. I do not think I want to get licensed but you don't have to be licensed to listen...correct?
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
cowboy38229

Re: yaesu mobile ham

Post by cowboy38229 »

yaesu used to be an expensive radio,if it was me and i could afford it it would be mine
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I bought the yaesu mobile ham. The seller told me that you can only talk on the ham but it receives a lot more than I can even remember. He also said that this radio is a 2 meter VHF and the range is typically 25 to 100 miles but depending on a lot of things it will often reach farther. Then he talked about repeaters and that totally flew by me. Is a repeater something that I have to buy?

He gave me a list of the stations...a long list and showed me how to plug them in. As we sat there I was able to pick up weather stations in the surrounding states. I am excited to practice and open to any info or advice! This may be a dumb question but can a ham radio pick up CB transmissions?

I would like a real ham radio but all I have found are very expensive.
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

what are the model name and numbers on you radio,i'll see what i can find out
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

FT-2600M Thanks Cowboy! I found a website last night that I am trying to get through, too.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

Got a feeling you already bought this radio before I had a chance to weigh in on this but if I had , I would have told you these are some of the finest radios ever made however I would have asked what bands it covers or is it just a C B
and if it had an antenna with it or not I had a yaesu 2 meter radio and loved back when I had a HAM lic., however ,there are no
legalities involved with monitoring..............

Whitewolf
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I have bought it and have been enjoying it immensely! I have no plan on talking but have been hearing a lot! I have found weather stations in states I did not think I could reach and I think someone was talking from Indianapolis! The seller did give me the antenna he used with it! Once less thing for me to try to figure out and I am grateful. It was obviously made for a big tractor truck. He told me that he has talked to the folks on the shuttle when they are overhead with it. I am glad I bought it!
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

If it has talked to the shuttle it will talk single side band like I asked and will with the right antenna talk to the moon or watchman way over there I should submit the frequencies I think you could actually legally talk on with no LC unless Cowboy beats me to it, to talk on it you will have to have your antenna installation checked and also check your SWR (standing wave ratio) checked with a meter, thats how well the antenna matches your radio, kinda like wearing the wrong shade of shoes with a skirt (doesnt match)(needs adjustment and it looks at it electrically....(GOOD RADIO).....

( G O F E R N ).....................................Whitewolf
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Send the frequencies! I have not figured out how to install this antenna on my truck. It is a whopper. It seems to work though laying bent up in the back of my truck. I am out at a rig site with my better half this weekend and have it stood up, up here on the top of this hill and the reception is really good. I want to ask people where they are talking from so badly! But I won't. The seller gave me a list of stations. I haven't even begun to figure it all out.