Reliance 5 gallon water can

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Reliance 5 gallon water can

Post by Toepopper »

I have been searching the surplus stores for the last year looking for a used plastic military 5 gallon water jug to carry in the back of my Jeep. These were once plentiful and inexpensive but are now scarce. Rather than go without, I bought a "Reliance" brand Rhino-Pak five and a half gallon heavy duty water container which is shaped like the old metalic gerry cans of WW2. It has slots molded into both sides so that they may be stacked on top of each other and layed flat. This can is BPA free. Supposedly its puncture resistant, but we shall see. I have bungee strapped it in place in the back of the Jeep so if I have a radiator/cooling system malfunction I will have extra water to deal with the situation and keep going.
SS5R

Re: Reliance 5 gallon water can

Post by SS5R »

I have a 7-gallon Reliance water container I carry in my vehicle but I have to say that extra gallon and a half in weight makes a difference when you have to pick it up and pour. I like the way those 5-gallon stack and lock together lying down. Where did you get them?
Just last Tuesday my Tahoe overheated fortunately I was close to home. The next day I opened the radiator cap to find there was no water in the system at all! I just replaced the radiator and hoses two years ago. I stared pouring water in and it started pouring it out the back of the block as fast as it was going in. I thought maybe it was a freeze plug in the back of the block but it was way too much water coming out for that. I believe it is a water fitting on the back of the block for the heater hose….I hope. If I were far from home I don’t think any amount of water would have gotten me back.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Never seen a 7 gallon model but it sounds awful heavy, especially for an old timer to be lifting. I purchased mine at the Army Navy Surplus store in Medford Oregon. Since then I have located the military style water cans at Sportsmans Wharehouse, brand new, desert tan with PROPERTY OF US GOVT stamped into the side. They cost $35. and the kid working there said they sell out as soon as they put them on the shelf.
Sounds like your heater hose blew completely off to leak that much water that fast. I hope thats all it was and not the freeze plug or head gasket. My old Chevy P.U. has a 350 with 330,000 miles on it and it has never blown the connector. That may turn into a real can of worms. You need another fix it project to take up your spare time, right? Hehe.
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

My mistake the water can I have is 6-½ gallon made by Blitz.

The water leak on the Tahoe went from bad to worse. If you have a 350 Chevy from about 1995 to 2000 check and see if you have a quick disconnect heater hose going into the intake manifold back by the distributor cap. It is called a Dorman Quick Disconnect Fitting. This hose will run from there to the heater core. These fittings are made from some kind of Zinc alloy. If you have one I recommend removing it and replacing it with a steel or brass fitting. Mine broke off in the intake manifold and apparently this is a common occurrence. At the time I didn’t know it but Dorman makes a removal tool for this fitting that should tell you something. I bought an EZ- out tool to remove the broken piece and soaked it overnight in penetrating oil but the Zinc is so soft all it did way chew away at the inside so I thought I could heat it up and that would do it, nope. From what I have read there tool doesn’t work any better. After lying across the engine all day I decided the only way is to cut it out. I made two cuts using a Drimal tool with a small bit and then I was able to chisel the pieces out. But not without damaging the threads. So I bought some Permatex thread repair. This is a two-part epoxy you mix to form new threads that are damaged. After that was done I put Permatex thread compound on the threads and put in a steel fitting. No leaks. This little project took me three days.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Oh that sounds lovely, can't wait till it happens to me. I suppose I should check and if need be replace that fitting. I have 3 Chevies with 350 engines and don't need that fitting blowing out when I need to move outa Dodge in a hurry. That water can water could be used for something less radical like a small hose leak or a hole in the radiator. I carry "Bars Leaks" radiator repair for that but in a pinch, table pepper will seal a small radiator leak . Never heard of Permatex thread repair but must get some.