Bow & Arrows

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Bow & Arrows

Post by Toepopper »

Does anyone know what the best type of wood is, with the most spring, for making a crude bow in a survival situation? Which wood is best to make the arrows from?
bbj101

Re: Bow & Arrows

Post by bbj101 »

I am going to say Ash or Port Orford Cedar... they are both very strong yet flexible.

I have a friend who does archery competitively so I'll ask him.. I'm new to archery, but infatuated..
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

Ok well now that i have re-read your post and got my buddys answer...

He said the best wood to use for arrows is cedar, and the best wood to use for the bow would be Bois D'Arc (bow wood), AKA Osage orange, Ash or English Yew. For the string you should either use 550 cord in military surplus stores or what the native americans used, sinew.

Hope this helps.

I have a compound bow and am going to start stocking up on extra arrows, strings, cams, repair tools, etc.. and this guy is going to teach me how to completely tear down and reassemble and fix bow issues, quite excited.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Oh thats interesting since I live about 45 miles from Port Orford ! I had another friend who lives on the Umpqua Indian Reservation and he told me the best arrows were made from choke cherry but I don't have any of that growing here locally . Thanks for the input. :wink:
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

Are you going to make one now or just wanted the info in case SHTF? Because I would love to see the process in photos!
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

I was just wondering and wanted to know in case I had to make one as a last resort. I have a spoke shave and a draw knife in my tool box to help with the process. I did make a crossbow in machine shop class in H.S. back in pre historic times and it worked good . Used a short piece of a truck booster-leaf spring for the bow and a small diameter steel cable for the string and cut down a piece of 2x6 for the stock. It worked but not that well.