Emergency Preparedness: How Ready Are You?

Watchman
Foreman

Emergency Preparedness: How Ready Are You?

Post by Watchman »

This is a link to a story at another location. If it should stop working please send admin a PM and advise.

http://www.diylife.com/2011/01/27/emerg ... paredness/
“Two is one, one is none”
308gun

Re: Emergency Preparedness: How Ready Are You?

Post by 308gun »

I am finding by reading more, gets me to think more about different things , so that over time we get a preparedness mindset (lifestyle) learning new skills , that we should never reach a point that now i am all ready... we should view life as we will never be completely ready.... also I find life to be much more interesting learning more new stuff.... I see some old people (got some money) or no money , they sit and watch TV , and DIE because they have no interests to keep driving them....I could make a list a mile long of things that keep driving me .... :biggrin:
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Exactly! Keep the mind sharp and the body will [more or less] follow.
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

My mind is still sharp but the old body does not want to follow as fast as it once did. When I plan a project I plan on how fast I could do it before, not how fast I can do it today at 64 years of age. This gives me the sensation that I am always behind schedule. Any hard physical labor like digging or splitting firewood takes forever and my endurance is just not there anymore so I plan my day accordingly. All hard physical work will be done early in the morning when its cool outside. This boosts production because you don't have to fight the heat and the blazing sun so I get more accomplished. I set limits too so I don't burn out, digging is limited to an hour and 20 minutes. I could do more but then the next day I can't move so I get more done by sticking to this time restriction each day and doing it 7 days per week. Same with splitting firewood, an hour per day is enough. In one hour I can split 5 wheel barrows of knarly hardwood without doing too much damage to my body. I let the split wood sit and bake in the hot sun for a couple of days befors stacking it in the woodshed.
Then the less physical chores are done like watering and tending to the garden and picking whats ready to be harvested. When the temperature hits 90 degrees I move into the shop or under a shade tree for mechanical repairs, woodworking, gun maintenance or reloading etc. This routine has become my standard modus operandi and is the only way to get anything done.