diapering- cheapest and easiest!

bbj101

diapering- cheapest and easiest!

Post by bbj101 »

Obviously cloth is going to be the way to go, but given my experience I'm going to throw out some tips!

There are tons and tons of prefolded and ready to go diapers such as g-diapers and bum-something, although some may choose to go that route just for simplicity, but a single ready to go premade cloth diaper can run you 35 bucks for one single diaper plus a few washable inserts. Well in reality you will be changing diapers at least 15 times a day, cloth holds a decent amount but no where near these chemically altered "turn liquid to gel" diapers, so a little 35 dollar kit will last you about 3 hours and in baby time that is NOTHING. So my advice, order about 50 single birds-eye flat (not prefolded!) cloths per child, your decision how many you would like to prep for. Better to have too many than not enough. And of course, over time they thin out, that's why I suggested so many!

Then you will need pins, you can go old school diaper pins that are actual pins, but I find these other pins a lot easier, but price wise are a little more and they're called Snappi's. Snappi's are three pronged claw like hooks. They hold super tight and go on in a snap! People say they slide off and such, but never once did I have one unhook! And they do tend to stretch out over time but just pull it tighter and problem solved. But I would keep about 20 on hand just for the fact they won't be readily available, but from birth until my son turned 1 I only used 2.. I also kept the old school pins on hand in case, because you never know ;)

And finally you will need diaper covers, let's go best, simplest and cheapest all in one! I tried probably ten different types and sometimes old school is best. Gerber makes these super cheap rubber diaper covers. They come in 3 packs for about 2 bucks... they hold in liquids and solids the best out of all the covers out there, hands down! And they're very durable. Id keep quite a few on hand just for the fact they need to be thoroughly washed just as anything u want on your babys skin... unless you want a "stanky" baby. But get them in all sizes. Walmart carries 18mo-3t, but anything smaller the only place I have ever been able to find them is of course babies r us!

I will try to do an example video for you all one day on folding techniques, youtube has some but they aren't that great (they're pretty but not effective). Give me some time to get that video together, I only have my cell phone since my iMac bit the dust so I will have to borrow my moms computer one day.

If anyone has any specific questions please ask, I am a diaper queen haha. Sad but true!