tampons

fern
Patriot
Patriot

tampons

Post by fern »

I was skipping through medical kit supply lists on the web (SurvivalXpert) and came up with this tidbit. Perhaps you all were aware of it but I certainly wasn't. Has anyone seen method this used?

If you have a serious wound and you need to stop the bleeding quickly, a tampon is your ticket. It is by no means a permanent solution, but if you have a massive arterial bleed, you are essentially S.O.L. anyway.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: tampons

Post by Toepopper »

During the mid 1990s the Michigan Militia was teaching its members to use this method for bullet holes to stop the bleeding in the field until the patient could receive medical help.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I've also known about using large pads, someone's brand MAXI-PADS, for vigorously bleeding wounds. Those can cover a larger area and can contain more fluids.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

This was all new info to me. Last I heard about tampons was they offered toxic shock and I forgot all about them.
manlikewater

Post by manlikewater »

have kept & used(1 time) sanitary napkins in my 1st aid in place of battle dressings. It worked but the manly recipient wasn't impressed .
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Whatever works. IMPROVISE, ADAPT AND OVERCOME. THIMK. :wink:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I had to laugh...Manlikewater! I can almost see the guys face! As Toepopper said though improvise and if they are good absorbers and sterile...what else could you need!
308gun

Post by 308gun »

the tampons idea goes back to 70's survival movement, also pre-packaged baby dippers in warp can be used , the ww2, battle dressing was almost the same but had a small packet of sulfer added, we had leftovers,first aid kits from ww2 and Korea......
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Truly it never crossed my mind to stick anything in a wound! But good to know Blackthorn.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

This process was meant to be employed as a last resort measure, when no other sterile field bandages or dressings were available. Depending on the caliber and type of projectile the victim is hit with most wounds are nice and neat on the entry side but large, ragged and cavernous on the exit side (think schrapnel) so whatever you use to cover the wound and apply pressure to stop the bleeding, small particles of the material will get stuck in the wound itself. Saline solution is used to wash out the mud, crud and blood and also the pieces of expediant field dressing that have adhered to the wound pocket once the patient gets back to the aid station. A sterile tampon may be better than a muddy shirt.