New powders

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

New powders

Post by Toepopper »

Out with the old, in with the new. Evidently this is the new philosophy being used by the powder manufacturers. Can't get the usual gun powders, especially traditional pistol powders so had to substitute with new types which were recently released to the general public. I purchased 2 pounds of BL-86, a new pistol powder and loaded 15 test rounds using the minimum amount of powder for a 9mm (4.7 grains) listed on the label of the container. After firing the first 2 rounds I realized this load was way too hot. The empty shell cases flew about 20 feet and there was way too much recoil out of a Browning Hi Power pistol. The next batch of test rounds got a reduced amount of powder, 4.2 grains with a 147 grain projectile and this load hit point of aim, point of impact with a normal amount of recoil. The action functioned and there were no mis feeds so I have been using this load for 10 months now with no problems. For some unknown reason I can't get my old favorites like Winchester 231, Bullseye or TiteGroup pistol powder. Maybe the new president will release these powders once again to Mr. John Q. Public.