Time Telling Devices

WillyPete

Time Telling Devices

Post by WillyPete »

Got to thinking about it, how might we know what time it is during the day or night after all that stuff has hit our fans and our current timepieces finally become non-functional. You know, batteries stop powering, solar panels quit or get broken, there is no more grid electricity and we can't use a sundial at night anyway.
Today I bought a windup pocket watch from www.pocketwatchsite.com
If you're looking for a good watch, check here. I can't tell you much about mine yet because I just set the order in motion but, I can show you which one I bought. It's a decent looking watch that didn't hurt my finances very much at all.
It's this one here http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/sale/new/ch3861w.html
Since redundancy is a watchword, I know bad pun, I may purchase another one as a backup at some point in the future.
I already have two mechanical alarm clocks to keep at the house or BOL depending but, one to keep handy is a good idea, all of my wrist watches are battery powered and won't last forever and, I've used cheap pocket watches before so a much better one will work just fine for me.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Time Telling Devices

Post by Toepopper »

Good point W.P. I have 2 wall mounted wind em up clocks that will run for 5 days per winding and several back up small nightstand type wind up alarm clocks that I use because I don't trust the power to stay on. I was unaware that anyone still manufactured a wind up wrist watch, haven't seen one of those in many years.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Yeah, I wasn't looking for a wrist watch that doesn't require batteries but, it's definitely a good idea. One of us will have to find some wrist watch websites so anyone looking for something other than a pocket watch can find it.
I just have a serious preference for a pocket watch over a wrist watch. Only reason I wear a wrist watch right now is because up until yesterday I couldn't find a decent pocket watch that I could windup instead of having to rely on batteries.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

:idea: I have dug out an old SAKO wrist watch that I bought in Hong Kong in 1968. This particular watch winds itself by the action or movement of the wrist and there are no batteries required to run it. I think all it needs is a cleaning and I will be back in business.